Port Coquitlam, BC
The kʷikʷəƛ̓əm First Nation (kʷikʷəƛ̓əm) are proud hən̓ q̓ əmin̓ əm̓ -speaking (downriver Halkomelem) Coast Salish people, who descend from a tradition of elders who were renowned as spirit and winter dancers, skilled canoe builders, and master sturgeon and salmon fishers. As we look to the future, we seek to care for their community and our traditional lands in culturally meaningful ways.
Saskay Land Development LP (Saskay), development company owned by kʷikʷəƛ̓əm, is committed to economic development to promote the self-determination and long-term growth of the kʷikʷəƛ̓əm. The Nation’s companies are responsible for carrying out all business operations, through companies such as KFN Enterprises LP and Saskay Land Development LP.
Saskay is looking for an experienced Excavator Operator, with at least 5 years of experience, with experience in heavy civil work (underground utilities and overhead power). The Operator will directly report to the Equipment Manager and take direction from the Site Superintendent of any site the Excavator Operator is assigned to as an employee of Saskay.
The Excavator Operator is responsible to safely operate heavy equipment, such as trucks, front-end loaders, bulldozers, graders, excavators and compactors. The Heavy Equipment Operator must also clean, maintain and secure all equipment as directed by Saskay and company policies and procedures.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in compliance with all safety practices, procedures, work site and traffic laws;
- Provide support to successful completion of construction and engineering work on the development site;
- Operate all heavy equipment such as: trucks, bulldozers, front-end loaders, graders, excavators and other related equipment;
- Operate the equipment in the right direction and angles to prevent accidents and damage of property;
- Ensure and manage the machines or equipment in a safe and secure way;
- Perform periodic safety, maintenance or service checks to ensure proper functions of the equipment;
- Inform and advise of any repairs or maintenance required on equipment;
- Perform road work, excavation work, lifting work, as required with due consideration to ground conditions and the surrounding environment;
- Respond to signals and directions by staff and work in coordination with them;
- Maintain proper coordination and cooperation with the road and transport system while driving/working, so that normal activities with are minimally disrupted;
- Perform other related duties that may arise from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Valid Driver’s license is a must and an acceptable driver’s extract
- 5+ years or 10,000 hours of experience with heavy equipment
- Experience with heavy civil work (underground utilities and overhead power)
- New methods and techniques of operation and the parts of the equipment
- Adhering to all workplace safety practices
- Both manual and electronic operations
- Must have physical ability to withstand a strenuous and dangerous work environment
- Possess physical strength to operate heavy and power-driven equipment
- Be a team player and follow directions from supervisors at any job site
- Have a safety-focused approach to work, and ability to handle and assist in emergency situations
- Must be willing to take and able to pass drug and alcohol tests
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
This position not only provides you with personal career growth opportunities, but it also is an opportunity to be a part of a passionate team who are building something that is full of purpose and great pride.
If this sounds like a position that fits your skills and experience, then please provide us with your resume, Attention: Diana Hamilton, Manager, Human Resources